8 Steps to Select the Topic of Your Book
[Approximate Reading Time : 3 mins]
Do the thoughts of becoming an author give you goosebumps? Have you ever secretly wished to be an author but the confusion of selecting a topic pulls you back? Then you are in the right place. Just stick till the end, and find some tips to start getting your ideas penned. American novelist E.L. Doctorow once said that ‘Writing is an exploration. You start from nothing, and learn as you go’. So, if you have no idea where to start, then just take some time to explore and gradually accomplish your writing goals.
Some easy dos:
- First decide your genre: fiction, non-fiction or poetry. If you are imaginative you can start with non-fiction. If you are confused to choose among multiple topics then begin with non-fiction based on your own or others’ real-life experiences. If you are musical, artistic, rhythmic, and like brevity or have a secret dairy of your poems then transform it into a poetry book.
- Choose the Format: Hardcover, eBook or both. The rising digital trend gives eBooks an upper hand but many readers still prefer to cling to the aroma of fresh pages and the nostalgic feeling of holding a book. If you are willing to publish in both the formats you can have wider access.
- Select a theme that is fresh, unconventional, and which adds a new angle to a subject. Everyone loves novelty.
- Make sure you reach out to your potential audience. For this, research some good, and widely read books written in the genre of your interest.
- Think like a marketer. Check out Goodreads reviews and research about books with great ratings and fresh themes.
- Question Yourself. Is the love for your topic a one night stand or a long-lasting commitment? If you can continue working on the same topic even next year then you can stick to that.
- Read and follow good book bloggers.
- Start with a topic that is familiar and easier for you rather than choosing something stranger, and tough to write. This way you can ensure that you don’t end up feeling burned out and you will be motivated to write and publish your next book.
So, don’t hesitate to start, and just go with the flow. Explore your potential, start today, learn gradually, and become a writer. For more help contact BUUKS and explore our end-to-end publishing services.