How to Publish a Book?
[Approximate Reading Time: 7 mins]
Knowing how to publish a book is crucial to any writer who yearns to become a published author. This will enable a writer to materialize his or her idea from the computer on a print or online medium and reach out to their targeted readership.
Different Ways of Publishing
There are three ways in which you can share your work with an audience. It could be through traditional publishing, which involves getting in touch with an editor and publisher, or self-publishing your book, which involves end-to-end control of the experience. The third way is to publish your book online on platforms like KDP and publishing platforms where you can make your author account and directly upload your book’s digital copy for publishing.
- Traditional Publishing
This is when the author is offered a contract by the publisher and purchases the right to publish your work and reimburses the author with royalties obtained through the sales. The best way forward for an author in this scenario would be to hire an agent who has expertise in your writing style. You can reach out to the agent by submitting a book proposal containing the chapters and a synopsis and sending a query letter that includes a small brief about you, as the author, and the audience that the book is catering to.
Various self-publishing models include subsidy, vanity, self-publishing, and print-on-demand (POD).
- A ‘vanity publisher’ is the one who is willing to publish an author’s work, provided they are paid for their full services. In this case, the publisher only prints and binds the book, but the author has complete ownership of the printed books and keeps the book sales profits.
- POD publishers accept all types of work for printing, provided they are paid. Books are individually printed, and the printing of copies can be adjusted as per the reader’s demand.
- The author has to invest his/her own money for self-publishing, which includes the end-to-end processes from printing and marketing to warehousing and distributing the book. In self-publishing, the author is free to choose individual services also as per his requirements.
- The author pays a subsidy publisher for the printing and binding of the book, but the publisher also pays partly for editing, distributing, warehousing, and marketing the book. The subsidy publisher has complete ownership of the books till they are sold, while the author earns from the royalties.
In both traditional publishing and self-publishing- you can either get the book printed or published in a digital format (ebook/audiobook). The latter would be the best way forward in the current pandemic situation as publishing houses and disrupted supply chains are hampering printed books. Online books are not only readily available to readers but can also be instantly downloaded and translated into multiple languages.
How to Publish a Book in the Post-Quarantine Era
Here is a comprehensive guide for writers on how to publish a book, step-by-step post-quarantine:
- Decide how you would want to publish your work
It is essential to have clarity on whether you would like to approach a publisher traditionally or self-publish your book.
- Ensure that you have thoroughly edited your book
After writing your manuscript, the most significant task is to proofread and edit it carefully before sending them out to agents. It is better to fix specific issues in your book to prevent it from getting rejected.
- Get constructive feedback
Getting feedback from a third party is extremely useful. Share your manuscript with peer writers, friends, larger writing communities, online critique groups, or beta readers to get their opinion.
- Find a title that is memorable
Select a title that is witty and unforgettable. Finding the perfect title should be a part of the editing process.
- Make sure that you have a fascinating cover design
Invest in attractive cover design, because readers can literally judge a book by its cover to ensure that it stands out.
- Ensure that your metadata is optimized
To make sure that your readers buy your book, make sure that your metadata, such as categories, keywords, and descriptions, are optimized to appeal to them.
- Plan out a detailed book launch
Book launches are crucial to effective marketing, so make sure that you have a great launch plan. During COVID times, you can also arrange an online book launch and reach the international audience due to social distancing norms.
- Get your book published
Publishing your book is a thrilling experience and far less stressful as your publishers/e-publishers (like Amazon) will guide you through the entire process effortlessly. Especially if you opt for self-publishing, you can make your publishing journey very comfortable with the publishers helping you out with the end-to-end publishing services.
- Maximize outreach through effective marketing
Your job is not over once the book is published. It would help if you also attracted readers through rigorous marketing techniques. Marketing is an ongoing process that ranges from building a website and blog tours to enlisting the help of third-party promotional services.
How to Publish a Book Step-by-Step in 2020
The pandemic times might have created havoc in the book publishing space, with many aspiring writers finding it impossible to publish their manuscripts. However, it has also brought about the realization that technology is the way ahead. The exceeding popularity of ebooks has shifted readership choices and altered publishing dreams of writers. Here is how you can publish your book in 2020:
- Invest proper time in your research before starting the book writing.
- Select a genre in which you are comfortable and can write fast. For example, if poetry comes naturally to you and you opt to self-publish your poetry book, you can become a published poet by the end of this year.
- Once you have finished writing your book, ensure that your book is perfectly edited and flawless.
- Polished cover design is essential to your book or eBook.
- Decide which path you choose- whether to ‘go wide’ or sign up for Amazon’s exclusivity.
- Ensure that your metadata is prepared beforehand, i.e., necessary information that showcases your niche and genre.
- Make your text flawless by formatting it immaculately.
- Upload the digital copy of your book and decide whether you want to enable Digital Rights Management.
- Determine the price of your book or eBook depending on the number of pages in it and compare the standard pricing for a book with the same number of pages and genre.
But first of all, you need to decide whether you want to self-publish your book or go for traditional publishing. If you’re going to go the traditional style, take help from a literary agent or contact the publisher directly. But as traditional publishing takes a minimum of a year or more to get your book published, to fulfill your dream of getting published within the year 2020, self-publishing will be a wise idea. If your manuscript is ready, you can self-publish your book in less than a month.
To know more about Self-publishing contact BUUKS at email@example.com